Beef Noodle Soup
Taiwanese comfort food. Easy to prepare, as long as you can get some special ingredients.
Beef noodle soup is best if prepared several hours in advance. Cook it mid-day, let it rest for a few hours and then re-heat for dinner.
- 1 kg beef
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 onions
- 3 spring onions
- 3 carrots
- Baby cabbage
- Soy sauce
- Rice wine
- Taiwanese spice pouch for stewing
- Hot bean sauce
- Monocrystal sugar
It is traditionally served with yang chun noodles, but you can use other kinds (vermicelli, udon) according to your own preference.
- Cut beef into large blocks
- Cut spring onion in half
- Chop vegetables in large blocks
- Heat large pot with frying oil
- Fry vegetables until onion turns soft
- Add beef to pot
- Heat water in kettle until it boils. Pour water to more than cover the ingredients.
- Add about 100ml of rice wine and 100ml of soy sauce
- Add four big spoons of bean sauce (almost half a jar)
- Add small handful of monocrystal sugar
- Add spice pouch
- Stir well
- Add spring onion
- Cover pot with lid
- Bring water to boil, then turn down the heat to medium and let stew for 1 hour (stir every 20 minutes)
- When done, take off the heat and let rest for several hours.
- Before serving, boil noodles according to package instructions. Boil cabbage with the noodles in the last few minutes.