Beef noodle soup is best if prepared several hours in advance. Cook it mid-day, let it rest for a few hours and then re-heat for dinner.
- 1 kg beef
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 onions
- 3 spring onions
- 3 carrots
- Baby cabbage
- Soy sauce
- Rice wine
- Taiwanese spice pouch for stewing
- Hot bean sauce
- Monocrystal sugar
It is traditionally served with yang chun noodles, but you can use other kinds (vermicelli, udon) according to your own preference.
- Cut beef into large blocks
- Cut spring onion in half
- Chop vegetables in large blocks
- Heat large pot with frying oil
- Fry vegetables until onion turns soft
- Add beef to pot
- Heat water in kettle until it boils. Pour water to more than cover the ingredients.
- Add about 100ml of rice wine and 100ml of soy sauce
- Add four big spoons of bean sauce (almost half a jar)
- Add small handful of monocrystal sugar
- Add spice pouch
- Stir well
- Add spring onion
- Cover pot with lid
- Bring water to boil, then turn down the heat to medium and let stew for 1 hour (stir every 20 minutes)
- When done, take off the heat and let rest for several hours.
- Before serving, boil noodles according to package instructions. Boil cabbage with the noodles in the last few minutes.